Friday, December 13, 2019

Reflections - End of the Year

Where did the year go?

Looking back, I'm not sure I've ever felt a whole year go by as fast as this one. Maybe it was the big changes, or the stress, or maybe it was the "go with the flow" attitude I've been maintaining. Whatever it was, I feel like just yesterday was March. Now it's early December and the new year is racing upon us.

Hello 2020, I hear you knocking.


December is a time for reflection. It's the beginning of winter, and although the cold weather has only brushed us here or there, it is indeed time for winter reflections.

The winter months have always been the resting/sleeping months, where we take a break from life and let ourselves hibernate a bit. Often we use this time to plan. We plan for the coming year. What goals will we make? What changes do we want to see? Which way do we want our future to go? And how do we make the next year "our year?"

But early winter isn't time for goal setting and resolutions and planning. It is time for reflection.

I know it's easy to skip reflection and jump head first into the new year planning, but reflection is crucial if you want to achieve any of the things you're planning.

Ask yourself how your year went. Reflect on what goals you set at the beginning of the year, and how you've accomplished them or made steps towards them. Where are you at in regards to your long term goals; the ones that last longer than one year? Recall your motivators throughout the year. When were you victorious? Where did you learn? How did you grow?

Keep your reflections positive. Instead of listing your failures, list what you learned when you did not succeed. Instead of recalling bad memories, inquire how you can replace them with positive ones. Instead of seeing how far you still have to go, see how far you've come.

What will you discover in your own reflection?

My Reflection:

In 2019, I have gone from a dead-end job where I struggled to find reasons to enjoy, to a full-time position making more money and in a positive environment. I have had more quality time with family members and friends. I have resurrected this blog from its frozen state, and have drafted new ideas and concepts I would like to include. I have nurtured the growth of my spirituality and identity.

In 2019, I have found that though beginnings can be difficult, they are necessary. I have found that I am what I make myself to be, and though outside forces sometimes effect how I act, I should not let them define who I am.

In 2019, I have volunteered my resources to help others in need. When I had nothing tangible to give, I offered a smile, a hug, and an ear to listen. I have offered advice when asked and needed. I have set aside time to check in on those who need a reminder that someone cares about them and wants them to succeed.

In 2019, I have dismantled my altar, reevaluated my spirituality, and dug deeper into what I want out of life. I have found that is is ok not to fit into a category, it is ok to be fluid, it is ok to be alone. I have discovered strength in solitude, light in darkness, wisdom in silence, and beauty in mundane.

In 2019, I have surrounded myself with positive people, uplifting words, inspiring sound, and a balance between me and the universe. I have opened myself to what may come, and discarded things that were holding me back. I've cleared away old, embraced the new, and at times I've flown by the seat of my pants.

In 2019, I've learned that all of this is ok. It's all valid.

Free Guided Worksheets:





No comments:

Post a Comment