Monday, January 5, 2015

Adding a Deity to Worship

I'm not one who usually cares for Greek mythology and Greek deities. It is something that I know about. I've learned about, and recognize as an organized polytheistic religion (Hellenism). But it has never been something for me. I'm eclectic, so the things that click are the things that stick. Hellenism has never clicked with me...

Until now. I don't know how to explain it. But I've been overly attracted to the demigod Achilles, as of recent. I'm not sure what it is. I feel almost as if I'm being called to him..by him? I usually trust my instincts, and so I am choosing to do such. I just find it odd...he isn't one of the more popular Greek deities either. He's a demigod. And I seem to be more attracted to the mortal aspect of him than the god aspect. 

What is this? Is this a calling from a deity, to follow/worship them? I have no idea. This has never happened to me. In fact, the two deities I DO worship ("Logos" and "Pathos") never really called to me. I had to discover them. Hell, I had to go out of my way to discover them! It was an insanely long process! This whole Achilles thing is just kinda falling into my lap.

I've looked online for information on Achilles and the myrmidons. I've read into the mythology about Achilles and his bloodline. I figure, if he is calling to me, then there must be a reason for it. But I've yet to figure it out. I wonder if there is a message he has for me that I still am not getting, or perhaps he is just calling to me for worship. I'm not sure. How does one go about worshipping an ancient Greek god anyway? This is all very new to me. I am not entirely sure how I feel about it yet. I looked online for pictures of Achilles, thinking that maybe having an image of him would help me understand this path he is calling me down. However, all the pictures I could find were either of ancient pottery items with carvings of Greeks (who knows which one he even is), digital made characters that look like they belong to some RPG website, or pictures of Brad Pitt playing Achilles in the movie "Troy." No help there.

I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences. If so, and you stumble across this post, please share your experience in the comment section below!!


ALSO: a quick update. I am still planning to do a post on Yule with an infographic and photos of my altar. Things have been a bit crazy, so I haven't gotten to it yet. But I will, please have patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment